Chicken and Dumpling Casserole
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
3 Tablespoons oil
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
1 cup chopped carrots (about 2 small)
1 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
3 cups low sodium chicken broth (see Notes)
3 Tablespoons flour
2 cups cooked chicken, bite sized
1 cup frozen peas
salt and pepper (try 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon)
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄3 cup non-fat or 1% milk
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet) and saute onions, carrots and celery until soft.
- Add a small amount of unheated broth to the flour and stir until smooth. Slowly mix in remaining broth and add to skillet. Stir over medium heat as the mixture thickens.
- Add the chicken, peas, salt and pepper. Heat on low while making dumplings.
- Dumplings: sift the flour, baking powder and salt together into a mixing bowl.
- Add the egg to the milk and beat until well blended. Stir into the flour until well combined.
- Pour the chicken mixture into a lightly oiled or sprayed casserole dish. Drop dumpling dough by spoonfuls onto chicken mixture. (makes about 8 dumplings)
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or until the dumplings are golden brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon