Hearty Chicken and Homemade Noodle Soup
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 10 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 1⁄4 cups flour
3 Tablespoons water
3 cups water
4 1⁄2 cups low-sodium chicken broth (see Notes)
2 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
2 cups mixed vegetables, fresh, canned, or frozen
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- For noodles: Put flour in a medium bowl, make a well in center, and add eggs. Mix well. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is stiff but easy to roll.
- Place dough onto a floured surface. Roll dough to ½ inch thickness using a rolling pin or a sturdy, straight sided drinking glass or jar.
- Cut into 1/4 to 1/2 inch strips, about 3-5 inches long. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- For soup: In a large pot, add water and chicken broth; bring to a boil.
- Add noodles a few at a time to water and chicken broth mixture. Bring the soup back to a boil.
- Add chicken, vegetables, and pepper. Boil for 12-15 minutes or until noodles are tender. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate or freeze within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Try whole wheat flour to include whole grains.
- Freeze extra for another meal.