Sweet and Sour Chicken
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 6 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 can (8 ounce) unsweetened pineapple chunks
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
1 cup 99% fat-free chicken broth (see Notes)
1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup celery, sliced
1 medium yellow onion, cut in eighths
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced diagonally 1/4" thick
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1⁄4 cup cold water
- Drain pineapple and reserve juice.
- Cut chicken into 1" cubes and place in a large skillet.
- Add reserved pineapple juice, chicken broth, vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and garlic. Cover and simmer over low heat (250 degrees for an electric skillet) for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink when cut.
- Add vegetables and pineapple; cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch with water and stir until smooth. Slowly pour into hot mixture, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute more.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice or pasta.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.