Sweet Potato Pumpkin Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 cups low-sodium, fat free chicken broth or vegetable broth (see Notes)
1 1⁄2 cups water
1 can (15-ounce) pumpkin
1 cup non-fat or 1% milk
3 Tablespoons reduced fat sour cream
- Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add ginger, curry, cumin, nutmeg, and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the sweet potato, broth, water, and pumpkin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is soft, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the milk until heated through (don’t boil).
- Ladle into bowls and top with 1/2 tablespoon low-fat sour cream.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.