Tabouli Bulgur Wheat Salad
Prep time: 45 minutes
Makes: 4 cups
Serving Size 1/2 cup
Chill Time: 3 hours
1 cup dry bulgur wheat
1 cup hot water
1⁄2 cucumber, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1⁄4 cup fresh chopped mint (or cilantro)
1 cup fresh chopped parsley
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄4 cup lemon juice (or vinegar or half of each)
2 Tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
1 teaspoon pepper
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Place the bulgur in a large bowl and soak in the hot water until the water is absorbed, (about 30 minutes). When it's ready, drain any excess water.
- Mix the dressing Ingredients together. Set aside.
- Chop the vegetables and add to the prepared bulgur.
- Add dressing to salad and stir. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours and serve chilled.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Top with plain yogurt.
- Add other chopped veggies including red or green peppers, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), grated carrots, or summer squash.
- Freeze extra lemon juice to use later.
- Serve as a side dish or serve on lettuce leaves or make sandwiches with whole wheat or pocket (pita) bread.