Prep time: 10 minutes
Makes: 16 servings
Serving Size 2 Tablespoons
2 cans (14 ounces each) beets, drained or 3 cups cooked fresh beets
1⁄4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
2 Tablespoons sesame tahini (optional)
- In a blender or food processor, combine beets, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper and tahini, if desired. Blend until smooth. For a thinner consistency, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water or beet juice.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Serve with carrot, celery or jicama sticks.
- Make a chunky version if you don’t have a blender or food processor; mash beets with a potato masher or fork to desired consistency. Add remaining ingredients and water or beet juice if needed.