Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 12 bars
Serving Size 1 bar
1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 cup brown sugar
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pinch ground cloves (optional)
1⁄2 cup butter or margarine
3 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced (about 2 medium apples [3” diameter])
2⁄3 cup raisins
1⁄4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9"x13" baking pan.
- Mix flour, salt and baking soda together in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves.
- Cut in butter or margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly.
- Spread half of the crumb mixture in the baking pan. Top with apple slices and raisins and sprinkle with sugar. Spread remaining crumb mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Cool and cut into 12 bars.
- Substitute ripe pears for apples
- Serve warm topped with vanilla yogur