Low-Fat Pumpkin Bread
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Makes: 16 1/2-inch slices
Serving Size 1/2 inch slice
non-stick cooking spray or oil
2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 large eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup dried plum puree (see Notes)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Add the eggs and pumpkin. Stir until mixed together.
- In a large bowl, blend the dried plum puree, brown sugar and sugar.
- Lightly coat a 8 ½ x 4 ½ -inch loaf pan with cooking spray or oil and set aside.
- Add dry Ingredients to the plum mixture. Stir only until the dry Ingredients become moistened. Be careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and spread into the corners.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely on a rack. Slice to serve.
- Wrap in plastic or foil to store for several days or freeze for up to a month.
- To make the dried plum puree: combine 2/3 cup pitted dried plums (4 ounces) and 3 tablespoons water in a blender. Blend until the plums are finely chopped.
- If you don't have dried plums on hand, try using applesauce or plum baby food