Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 9 scones
Serving Size 1 scone
1 cup whole wheat flour
3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
1⁄3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins
1⁄4 cup butter, melted
2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well.
- Add raisins and mix lightly.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and buttermilk. Add liquid Ingredients to flour mixture; mix gently.
- Spoon dough into 9 equal mounds on a greased baking sheet. Bake until well browned, 18-20 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature. Best eaten the same day you bake them.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute vegetable oil for the butter to reduce saturated fat.
- Try other dried fruit. Sprinkle with cinnamon before baking.
- No buttermilk? Place 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar in measuring cup and fill to the 1 cup line with milk. Stir and let set to thicken slightly