Beef Barley Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 14 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat or less)
1 large carrot, diced, about 1 cup
1 small onion, diced, about 1 cup
2 stalk celery, diced, about 1 cup
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
8 cups water
2 teaspoons beef bouillon
1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup uncooked barley
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In large sauce pot, cook ground beef over medium heat. Drain fat.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic; stir often and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of water, bouillon, tomatoes with juice, barley, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to a low boil. Cook for about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add 1 cup sliced mushrooms with tomatoes.
- Add 1 cup chopped kale or other greens with tomatoes.