Ham and Vegetable Chowder
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 10 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
1⁄2 head cabbage, chopped (about 6 cups)
1 large potato, peeled and diced
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low-sodium chicken broth (see Notes)
2 cans (15 ounces each) cream-style corn
1 cup chopped lean ham (8% fat)
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in 4 quart (or larger) saucepan. Saute onion, cabbage, and potato over medium heat, stirring often, until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, corn, ham, and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes
- Serve hot, sprinkled with cheese.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Leave skin on potato for added fiber.
- For a vegetarian soup, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth and beans for the ham.