Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 10 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 Tablespoon oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
1 cup chili sauce (about 9 ounces)
1 large green pepper, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Heat pan over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add oil and chicken, and cook until no longer pink when cut.
- Reduce heat to medium (300 degrees in electric skillet).
- Add tomatoes with juice, chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, and cayenne pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice or pasta.
- No chili sauce? Make your own and reduce sodium using these Ingredients:
- 1 can (8-ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder