Chicken, Broccoli & Cheese Skillet Meal
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 6 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
2 whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts (1 1/2 pounds) cut in 1" cubes
2 teaspoons oil
1 1⁄2 cups or more chopped broccoli, fresh or frozen
1 can (14.5 ounces) low sodium chicken broth (see Notes)
1 can (10.5 ounces) low sodium condensed cream of chicken soup
1 teaspoon pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups small shell pasta, uncooked
1 cup (4 ounces) cheddar cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add chicken and cook until no longer pink, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add broccoli, broth, soup, pepper, garlic and pasta. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Check near the end of cooking and add a small amount of water, if needed.
- Add cheese during last two minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Try whole wheat pasta when available