Chinese Turnip Pancakes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 12 pancakes
Serving Size 2 pancakes
1 cup flour
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
3⁄4 cup water
2 cups turnip, grated
1 cup carrot, grated
1⁄2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons oil (for cooking)
2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons green onion, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, mix flour, pepper, egg, garlic, soy sauce, and water in a bowl until smooth.
- Stir in the grated turnip, carrot and green onion.
- Heat half of oil in a large skillet over medium heat (350 degrees F in an electric skillet). Pour about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake into skillet. Flatten with a fork into a 3-inch circle.
- Cook until edges look dry and bottom is golden, about 3-4 minutes. Turn once. Cook until bottom is golden and crispy. Repeat with the remaining batter adding remaining oil as needed. Pancakes will be moist in the center.
- Combine dipping sauce Ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with warm pancakes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.