Fish Taco Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 6 cups
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
2 pounds fish fillets (try cod, tilapia, snapper or others)
1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
2 cups shredded cabbage or lettuce
2 cups chopped vegetables (try tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, corn, green onions, celery, avocado)
1⁄2 cup low-fat ranch dressing
1⁄2 cup salsa
- Season fish with salt and pepper. Cook by your favorite method until it appears opaque and flakes apart easily (see Notes).
- Mix cabbage or lettuce with other vegetables of your choice. Add chunks of fish. Drizzle with ranch dressing and salsa.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Cook fish:
- In a Skillet - Spray or lightly oil a skillet. Add seasoned fish and cook over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet) until flesh starts to appear white. Turn fish over and cook until it flakes easily.
- In the Oven - Put seasoned fish in a baking pan and cover with foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven until fish flakes.
- Under a Broiler - Place seasoned fish on a broiler pan. Broil several inches from the heat until the fish is opaque throughout and flakes easily.
- To make tacos instead of salad: Warm tortillas. Layer cabbage or lettuce, vegetables of your choice, and fish on the tortilla. Drizzle with ranch dressing and salsa. Fold in half.