Barley, Bean and Corn Salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 6 cups
Serving Size 1/2 cup
2 cups cooked pearl barley (cooking Directions below)
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained
1 cup corn (canned and drained, frozen, or fresh cooked)
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
1⁄2 cup sliced celery
1⁄4 cup sliced green onion
1 clove garlic, finely chopped or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄4 cup fresh lemon or lime juice
2 Tablespoons oil
salt and pepper to taste
fresh cilantro or parsley sprigs, for garnish (optional)
- Mix barley with remaining Ingredients, except garnish, in a large bowl.
- Cover and chill several hours or overnight to allow flavors to blend.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley sprigs, if desired, and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- One large ear of corn makes about 1 cup of cut corn.
- Freeze extra lime or lemon juice to use later.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- To cook pearl barley:
- In medium saucepan with lid, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add 1 cup pearl barley and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Makes about 3 to 3 1/2 cups. Place any extra cooked barley in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week or freeze. Add cooked barley to soups, stews, casseroles and salads for a healthful whole grain boost