Greens with Carrots
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 4 cups
Serving Size 1/2 cup
8 cups greens (try kale, bok choy, collard, mustard)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 large carrots, peeled and cut julienne or coarsely shredded
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper
1 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 1⁄2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- Wash greens and remove tough stems (see Notes). Rough chop or cut leaves into thin strips.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Add carrots and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add greens, salt, pepper, coriander and cayenne, if desired. Stir often.
- When greens have turned bright green and begun to wilt, remove from heat. Sprinkle vinegar and tamari or soy sauce over the top. Toss gently and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Kale: remove large stem running through center of each leaf.
- Bok Choy: do not remove stem