Indian Lentils and Pasta
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 6 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
3 cups water
2 cloves garlic finely chopped or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
1 large onion, chopped
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1⁄2 cup dry lentils, rinsed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1⁄2 cup orzo or tiny pasta
1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet). Add onion and garlic and cook 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in water, diced tomatoes with juice, lentils, cumin, turmeric, and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low (250 degrees in an electric skillet). Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook uncovered until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Serve topped with light sour cream or plain non-fat yogurt.