Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 10 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
1 large carrot, sliced
2 Tablespoons oil
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
1 can (15 ounces) chopped tomatoes
2 cans (15 ounce each or 3 1/2 cups) low sodium vegetable or beef broth (see Notes)
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained
1 teaspoon dried basil
1⁄2 cup uncooked macaroni
2 small zucchini, sliced
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a 5 quart saucepan over medium heat, cook onion, celery and carrot in oil, stirring constantly until onion is soft, but not browned.
- Add potato, tomatoes, broth, beans and basil.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add macaroni and zucchini. Cook another 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Use any vegetables you have on hand.
- Add cooked meat if desired.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.