Pasta with Greens and Beans
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
8 ounces pasta (try penne)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
3 cloves minced garlic or 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
10 ounces frozen spinach
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
1 can (15 ounces) white beans, drained and rinsed
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package Directions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet. Add garlic and cook on low (250 degrees in an electric skillet) until soft.
- Add spinach, tomatoes with juice, drained beans, salt, and pepper. Once the mixture bubbles, cook uncovered on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add drained pasta and parmesan to spinach mixture. Toss well and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute cleaned and chopped fresh spinach (about 6 cups).
- Try other greens, such as Swiss chard or kale instead of spinach. Be sure to clean greens well and cook them until soft.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.