Southern Okra Bean Stew
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 14 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
4 cups water
1 can (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes with liquid
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced or 3/4 teaspoons of garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 cup quick brown rice, uncooked
1 can (14.5 ounce) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
1 package (16 ounce) frozen, sliced okra
salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, combine the water, diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add rice, beans, tomato sauce, and okra. Simmer uncovered 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add liquid as needed for desired consistency.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute 2 cups cooked rice for the quick rice and reduce water by 1 cup.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.