Tasty Hamburger Skillet
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 9 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
1⁄3 cup chopped onion (1⁄3 medium onion)
1⁄3 cup green pepper, chopped
2 cups water
1 cup long grain white rice
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves of garlic
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
1 can (15 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained (or about 1 1/2 cups frozen)
1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cook ground beef, onion, and green pepper in large skillet over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet) until hamburger is no longer pink. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Add water, rice, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, pepper, tomatoes with juice, corn, and beans.
- Cook, covered, for about 20 minutes or until rice is soft.
- Remove from stove top, sprinkle with grated cheese, and serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Tip: Garnish this dish with a tablespoon of low-fat sour cream.
- Flavor boosters: green chilis, jalepeños, more garlic, and other seasonings.
- Make extra! Leftovers make a great filling for tacos, burritos, filling for stuffed bell peppers, or as a topping for baked potatoes.
- Use whole grains! Use brown rice instead of white rice and increase cooking time to 45 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.