Sweet Carrot Bread or Muffins
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Makes: 12 slices or muffins
Serving Size 1 slice or 1 muffin
1 cup sliced carrots (about 1 can (14.5 ounces) or 2 to 3 fresh carrots)
2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup nonfat or 1% milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups baking mix (biscuit or pancake mix)
3⁄4 cup raisins or other dried fruit (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking pans. If making a loaf, lightly spray or oil and flour a 9x5 bread pan. If making muffins, lightly oil or spray a muffin tin.
- Cook carrots until they are very soft.
- Fresh - Steam or boil.
- Frozen - Follow package Directions or microwave, steam or boil.
- Canned - Rinse and drain.
- Mash carrots well with a fork or potato masher, or use a blender or food processer to puree until smooth.
- In large bowl, mix carrots with brown sugar, egg, and milk until well blended. Add remaining Ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared bread pans or fill 12 muffin cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake bread for 50 minutes or muffins for 18 to 20 minutes, until a fork or knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly then remove from pans. Cool completely then store in an air-tight container at room temperature.