Barley Lentil Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 1⁄2 hours
Makes: 10 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 Tablespoon oil
1 clove garlic, minced, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup sliced onion
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
1 can (15 ounces) stewed, diced tomatoes
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, or water (see Notes)
3 cups water
1 cup dry lentils
2⁄3 cup barley
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large soup pan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic and onion until they are golden brown, about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the rest of the Ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower the heat so the mixture is at a light simmer. Place a lid on the pan.
- Cook until the barley and lentils are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve hot in a soup bowl.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon
- Use any fresh, frozen, or canned vegetables you have on hand