Barley Summer Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
Serving Size 3/4 cup
1 cup dry barley
3 cups water
1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup sweet snap peas, chopped
2 cups apples or another fresh fruit or veggie, chopped (about 1 1/3 medium apples [3” diameter])
1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 small pepper)
1⁄2 cup green onions, sliced thin
1 Tablespoon vinegar
3 Tablespoons oil
1⁄4 cup lemon or lime juice
- Place barley and water in a 2 or 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, then turn to low. Cook covered for 45 minutes.
- Rinse cooked barley briefly in cold water. Drain.
- Add remaining Ingredients. Toss well.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute different fruits and vegetables in season.
- Add nuts or seeds for added protein