Dutch Red Cabbage with Apples
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 6 cups
Serving Size 1/2 cup
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1⁄2 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1⁄2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
1⁄4 cup vinegar
1⁄4 cup sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 apples, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until clear, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add cabbage, vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well and add apples.
- Reduce heat to low. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is soft, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add cold leftovers to a sandwich or wrap