Peanutty African Stew
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 cup instant brown rice
2 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium (see Notes)
1 teaspoon dehydrated minced onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves garlic
1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
2 cups medium diced peeled sweet potato or yam
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with liquid
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1⁄4 cups non-fat or 1% milk
3 cups baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
1⁄4 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts (optional)
green onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- Combine first 9 Ingredients in a soup pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down to medium low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and milk. Return to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Top with peanuts and green onion, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Substitute a 10 ounce package of frozen spinach for the fresh spinach.
- Flavor boosters: chopped cilantro, red and green peppers, raisins.
- To avoid peanuts or peanut butter, try sunflower seeds or sunflower seed butter.