Prep time: 15 minutes
Makes: 5 servings
Serving Size 1 cup
3⁄4 cup dry couscous
1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup boiling water
1⁄2 cup low fat Italian Salad Dressing
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
2 green onions, sliced
3⁄4 cup frozen peas, thawed
1⁄4 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- Place the couscous and cranberries in a large bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the mixture; cover and let stand until just warm. Fluff with a fork to separate.
- Add dressing and mix lightly.
- Wash and prepare vegetables and chop nuts.
- Add to salad and toss lightly to distribute.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- To toast nuts, spread on a baking sheet or pan and heat in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, depending on the size of the nuts. Watch closely to avoid scorching.
- Salad may be refrigerated for up to a day after adding the dressing; then near serving time, toss with vegetables and nuts.
- What is Couscous? Couscous is small precooked pellets shaped from wheat flour or sometimes other grains. It can be found in many bulk food sections and in packages along the pasta aisle. Try whole grain couscous.