Garden Sloppy Joes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
Serving Size 1/2 bun
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped or shredded
1 green pepper, chopped
1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat) (turkey, chicken or beef)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounces) whole tomatoes, crushed
1 can (8 ounces) mushrooms or 1/2 pound chopped fresh mushrooms
1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
6 whole wheat buns, split in half to make 12
- Saute onions, carrots, green pepper and ground meat in a 2-3 quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, mushrooms and barbecue sauce.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Toast buns if desired. Spoon sauce over bun halves. Serve open-faced.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add your favorite fresh, canned or frozen chopped vegetables.
- Try whole wheat English muffins instead of buns.