Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Makes: 5 servings
Serving Size 1/4 cup
1 1⁄4 cups or 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) cooked beans (pinto or other type)
1 Tablespoon oil
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin (or try substituting 1/2 teaspoon chili powder)
- Drain beans and reserve liquid. (Rinse canned beans to reduce sodium.)
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is soft.
- Mash beans and cumin into onion mixture in skillet. Use a potato masher or back of a spoon.
- Add reserved liquid or water (1 Tablespoon or more) until desired consistency is reached.
- Cook and stir bean mixture on medium heat until heated through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.