Refried Bean Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 10 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup onion, finely chopped (1 medium onion)
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 large can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
1 large can (30 ounces) fat-free refried beans
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) low-sodium vegetable broth (see Notes)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft.
- Add crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, and reduce heat to low.
- Add beans and vegetable broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.