Skillet Mac and Cheese
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
Serving Size 1 cup
2 cups water
1 1⁄2 cups uncooked macaroni
1 teaspoon butter or margarine
2 Tablespoons flour
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1⁄4 cups non-fat or 1% milk
1 1⁄4 cups (5 ounces) grated cheddar cheese
- In a 10-inch non-stick skillet or pan bring water to a boil.
- Add the macaroni and butter or margarine. Stir a few times to prevent sticking.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. (Do not drain the water)
- Meanwhile, mix flour, salt and mustard in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup of milk and stir until smooth. Add remaining milk. Set aside.
- Take the lid off the skillet and cook macaroni until most of the water is gone.
- Stir and add milk mixture and cheese. Mix well. Cook and stir until all the cheese melts and the sauce is bubbly and thick.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add your favorite fresh or frozen vegetables in step 2. Try onions, celery, carrots, zucchini or others.
- Add your favorite seasonings in step 4 to add variety. Try oregano, garlic powder, chili powder or others.
- Use a combination of cheddar and mozzarella cheese for a different flavor!