Southern Green Beans
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
Serving Size 1/2 cup
1 pound fresh green beans
1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
1⁄4 cup chopped ham
1 Tablespoon olive oil or butter
salt and black pepper to taste
- Snap the ends off the green beans and rinse the beans in water.
- Place the green beans in a pan of boiling water over medium high heat. Cover and cook beans for 6 to 8 minutes. Drain off the water.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and ham. Stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked green beans and 1/4 cup water to the skillet. Stir and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.