Italian Veggie Soup
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 12 cups
Serving Size 1 Cup
1 pound lean ground meat (15% fat) (turkey, chicken or beef)
1 cup diced onion
1⁄2 cup sliced celery
1 cup sliced or diced carrots
1 1⁄2 cups sliced or chopped cabbage
1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans drained and rinsed
2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato pieces with liquid
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (15 ouncse) cut green beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup whole kernel corn (canned and drained, frozen, or fresh cooked)
2 cups water
3 teaspoons or 3 cubes low sodium beef, chicken or vegetable bouillon
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaf
1⁄2 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaf
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
1⁄2 cup small macaroni (optional)
- In a skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet), cook the ground meat until browned, breaking it up as it cooks. Drain any fat. Add to soup pan.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery, and carrots until limp but not brown. Add to soup pan.
- Add all the remaining Ingredients to soup pan.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- One large ear of corn makes about 1 cup of cut corn.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.