Green Beans with Onions and Almonds
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 cups
Serving Size 2/3 cup
1 Tablespoon margarine or butter
1 small onion (1/2 cup chopped or sliced)
1⁄4 cup almonds, chopped, sliced or slivered
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons orange juice (juice from 1/4 orange)
1 Tablespoon mustard
4 cups green beans, fresh (cooked), frozen or canned (drained)
- Melt margarine in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and almonds and cook until onions are tender.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, orange juice and mustard. Stir into onion mixture.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in green beans and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- 4 cups of green beans is about 1 pound fresh OR 16 ounces frozen OR 2 cans (15 ounces each)
- To cook fresh green beans:
- Wash and trim green beans. Cut or snap into desired length. Place in a small saucepan and fill with enough water to cover beans. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain beans and set aside.
- For extra flavor, add ¼ cup dried cranberries to the skillet along with the green beans.