Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 1 cup
Serving Size 1/2 cup
1 medium onion, sliced or chopped
1 teaspoon oil, margarine, or butter
- Heat oil in a wide bottomed skillet or pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped or sliced onion and cook, stirring frequently, until desired softness and color are reached. Reduce the heat as needed to prevent burning.
- 3-5 minutes – onions will be crisp-tender and a clear white
- Longer cooking will start to brown the onions. They will become softer and sweeter.
- Cooking for a long time (30 minutes or more) at a lower heat will turn onions a rich golden brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- When sauteing more than one onion, avoid crowding them in the pan.