Oriental Citrus Chicken
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 10 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 chicken breasts, boned, skinned, and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 slices fresh ginger root, peeled and minced, or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can (8 ounce) pineapple chunks, drained (save juice)
1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
1 cup chicken broth or water (see Notes)
2 Tablespoons vinegar
4 cups sliced vegetables, (such as celery, green peppers, onions, and mushrooms)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 medium tomato, cut in wedges
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Add chicken, ginger and garlic, and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add pineapple juice, 1 cup of orange juice, chicken broth and vinegar. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add sliced vegetables. Cover and cook 3 minutes.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup orange juice, soy sauce, sugar and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Stir until smooth. Add to skillet and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Add tomato wedges and pineapple chunks.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Serve with brown rice for a more complete meal