Apple Spice Baked Oatmeal
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 9 squares (2.5 inches x 2.5 inches)
Serving Size 2.5 inches x 2.5 inches
1 egg, beaten
1⁄2 cup applesauce
1 1⁄2 cups non-fat or 1% milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 Tablespoons oil
1 apple, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil or spray an 8" x 8" baking pan.
- Combine the egg, applesauce, milk, vanilla and oil in a bowl. Add the apple.
- In a separate bowl, mix the rolled oats, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add to the liquid Ingredients and mix well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish, and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with brown sugar and nuts.
- Return to oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes until top is browned and the sugar bubbles.
- Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute other fruit for the apple. Try bananas, pears, blueberries or a mixture