Creamy Potato Leek Soup
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
3 leeks (about 3 cups diced
3 potatoes (about 3 cups diced)
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
1⁄4 cup 1% milk
2 garlic cloves, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Remove root and green tops from leeks. Slice in half lengthwise and rinse well under running water. Slice crosswise into ¼ inch slices.
- Scrub potatoes well; cut into small cubes.
- Melt butter or margarine in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and chopped leeks. Cook until softened.
- Add potatoes and enough broth to cover. Cover pan and simmer until potatoes are soft. Mash with a potato masher or fork until potatoes are fairly smooth.
- Add remaining broth, milk and pepper. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.