Prep time: 10 minutes
Makes: 12 cups
4 cups all-purpose flour
4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1⁄3 cups non-fat dry milk
1⁄4 cup baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1⁄2 cups shortening (see notes)
- In a large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, dry milk, baking powder and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender or two knives until mixture looks like coarse cornmeal.
- Store in covered containers in the refrigerator, if you use shortening.
- For best quality, use all the mix within a month.
- To use oil instead of shortening, mix dry ingredients together. Omit the shortening. Store at room temperature. Add oil when using in recipes. Add 2 tablespoons of oil for every cup of Master Mix in the recipe.