Rice Bowl Southwestern Style
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Makes: 2 servings
Serving Size 1 cup
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped vegetables (try a mixture - bell peppers, onion, corn, tomato, zucchini)
1 cup cooked meat (chopped or shredded), beans or tofu
1 cup cooked brown rice
2 Tablespoons salsa, shredded cheese or low fat sour cream
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add vegetables and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
- Add cooked meat, beans or tofu and cooked rice to skillet and heat through.
- Divide rice mixture between two bowls. Top with salsa, cheese or sour cream and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- For a spicier dish, add chili powder, red pepper flakes or taco sauce in Step 1.
- You can use any leftover cooked grain in this recipe. Try white or wild rice, quinoa, barley or oatmeal.