Cheesy Polenta Pie
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 12 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1⁄2 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
1⁄2 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 can (15.5 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with juice
1 1⁄2 cups corn (canned and drained, frozen, or fresh cooked)
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves of garlic
1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 1⁄2 cups water
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Brown meat and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Drain fat.
- Add beans, tomatoes, corn, 1 tablespoon chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low (250 degrees in an electric skillet), cover, and heat thoroughly.
- As chili heats, mix cornmeal, salt, sugar, and 1 teaspoon chili powder with water in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes. Add cheddar and mix well.
- Spread cornmeal mixture over chili mixture.
- Cover and cook over low heat, with lid slightly ajar, until topping is set, about 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Substitute 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix for the last 6 Ingredients in the filling.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.
- One large ear of corn makes about 1 cup of cut corn.