Spicy Rice Casserole
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 pound lean ground beef (15% fat)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small bell or jalapeño pepper, chopped
1 cup rice, uncooked
2 cups chopped tomato, fresh or canned, with juice
2 cups water
1 Tablespoon chili powder (or more to taste)
1 Tablespoon dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon salt
3⁄4 cup (3 ounces) shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- Brown meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Drain fat.
- Add onion and peppers and cook for 8 to 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add rice, tomato, 2 cups water, and spices. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try brown rice and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- If using instant rice, reduce water to 1 cup.
- Try ground turkey in place of beef.