Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 cup corn, frozen or canned and drained
1 can (15.5 ounce) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
1 can (14.5 ounce) stewed tomatoes
1⁄2 cup bulgur, uncooked
1⁄2 cup water
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (low fat)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet).
- Add garlic, onion, pepper, and mushrooms and saute until tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Add remaining Ingredients except cheese.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until bulgur is soft, 10-15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Use kidney or black beans instead of pinto beans.
- One large ear of corn makes about 1 cup of cut corn.
- Top with light sour cream.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.