Sweet Potato and Orange Muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Yield: 18 servings
Serving Size 1 muffin
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 can (16 ounce) sweet potatoes (yams), drained
2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup orange juice
1 carrot, shredded
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil muffin tins for 18 muffins.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
- In a large bowl, mash sweet potatoes. Add brown sugar, eggs, orange juice, carrots and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients and mix well.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake 15-20 minutes, until tops are brown. Let cool and remove from tins.
- Cool completely then store in an air-tight container at room temperature.