Cheesy Potato Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes: 6 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
1 teaspoon oil
2 cups potatoes, peels and diced bite size
2 cups chicken broth
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 1⁄2 cups nonfat or 1% milk, divided
1 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1 Tablespoon bacon bits or 1 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté onions and celery in oil until onions are clear.
- Add the potatoes, broth, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and ¼ cup of milk until smooth. Add remaining milk. Stir into the potato mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened and heated through, about 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Top with bacon bits. Serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.