Brazilian Black Beans and Sausage
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
2 teaspoons oil
8 ounces low-fat polish kielbasa sausage, cut into small pieces
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup uncooked rice
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups water
- Heat oil over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet); sauté sausage and onion until onion is clear.
- Add remaining Ingredients.
- Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Add mushrooms or green bell peppers for variety.
- If you like spicy food, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder.
- Try brown rice and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.