Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: 12 servings
Serving Size 1 wedge
1 cup medium salsa
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) whole-kernel corn, drained (or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed)
1⁄2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves
4 whole wheat tortillas, 10-inch diameter
6 ounces (1 1/2 cups) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Lightly oil or spray a 10 inch casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix salsa and tomato sauce.
- In a medium bowl, mix black beans, corn and cilantro.
- Place 1 tortilla in baking dish, and spread 1/4 of salsa mixture over tortilla. Top with 1/3 of bean mixture and 1/3 of cheese.
- Repeat layering 2 more times; spread last of salsa mixture over top of last tortilla.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until cheese melts and filling is hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Try kidney or pinto beans instead of black beans.
- Add leftover cooked chicken, turkey or ground beef.
- Cook your own dry beans. One can (15 ounces) is about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups drained beans.