Chicken Enchilada Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 12 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
2 teaspoons oil
1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (16 ounces) navy beans
1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) fat-free chicken broth (see Notes)
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 cup shredded cheese
10 thin corn tortillas
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion, garlic, and cumin, and sauté until onion is softened but not browned.
- Drain and rinse beans. Add drained beans, tomatoes with liquid, and chicken broth. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chilies, oregano, and chicken. Simmer 15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, stir in cilantro and 1 cup cheese until melted. Serve tortilla strips on the side as soup toppings.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- To make tortilla strips, stack tortillas and cut in half. Cut each half-stack into thin strips. Spread strips on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees, tossing frequently, for 15 minutes or until crispy and starting to lightly brown.