Spring Fling Chowder
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 cups
Serving Size 1 cup
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 cups fresh or frozen asparagus, chopped into small pieces
1 large potato, peeled and diced
3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use water) (see Notes)
1 can (15 ounces) cream-style corn
1 cup peas, frozen or canned and drained
salt and pepper to taste
1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat (300 degrees in an electric skillet). Sauté onion, asparagus and potato until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken or vegetable broth and corn. Cover and simmer until potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add peas and simmer 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Top with cheese and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
- Broth can be canned or made using bouillon. For each cup of broth use 1 cup very hot water and 1 teaspoon or 1 cube bouillon.
- Leave skin on potato for added fiber.
- Try using fresh or frozen broccoli instead of asparagus.
- Try using canned green beans or diced tomatoes instead of peas.